2.09.2012

Solids: Week 1

We are off and rolling on solid foods!  I have made carrots, sweet potatoes, and apples.  These I steamed, pureed, and froze using my awesome little Babycook food maker by Baeba and some Fresh Baby covered ice cube trays.  I bought organic rice cereal and oatmeal that is fortified with iron.


I feel so good knowing exactly what is in Will's food.  I used only organic produce and I added nothing to it.  I added back a lot of the steaming liquid to make the puree, so that allows even more nutrients to remain in the food.  Apparently, when food is steamed it retains more of its nutrients than when it is boiled (as is done for commercial baby food to preserve it longer).

So this week, our schedule looked like this:

Sunday: Rice cereal

Monday: Pureed Sweet Potatoes

Tuesday: Pureed Carrots

Wednesday: Pureed Apples

Thursday: Mashed Banana

Friday: Baby oatmeal

I am still nursing the same amount.  The goal of this week and next week is just to begin to allow him to taste food and learn to eat with a spoon.  I didn't realize how this was something that babies really have to LEARN how to do.  While nursing came so naturally, this is a different ball game.  He doesn't really seem to like any of this yet, and doesn't open his mouth for the spoon.  It will come in time, I'm sure.

Next week, I'll repeat this list and maybe begin to mix some of these same things together.

For practicality, I want to use up the food I've made, then I'll hit the store for some more food to try.  This is fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...