2.08.2012

My Mantra

I started to get really sad as I was putting away some baby clothes.  There were these adorable little onesies and sleepers that I had imagined Will wearing before he was even born.  And now, they are too small!  He will never wear them again.

I am a sentimental person (thanks, Dad) and I know a part of me will mourn each passing stage throughout Will's entire life, but if I'm crying over little pajamas, this is going to be a really, really long road!

So, my new mantra: It just gets better!

I must remind myself of this truth every day.  So he can no longer fit into that cute knit hat--but now he can fit into that Gymboree outfit I love so much.  So he isn't exclusively nursing anymore--but now I get the joy of feeding him.  So I can't hold him with one arm anymore--but now he can sit up and laugh...and I can't get enough of that laugh!

I know not everything ahead is "better," per se.  We'll have bumps along the way.  I'm not really looking forward to potty training, or braces, or broken bones, or Drivers Ed.  And I will miss the baby babbles and the toothless grins and the cuddles and the lullabies.  Who am I kidding?  But one day, I want to look at Will and instead of thinking, "Oh man, I miss my baby!" I want to say, "Wow.  What an amazing man he is.  I love him now more than I ever did before."

And that will be the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...