1.12.2012

White People Problems

On Saturday Night Live last week, Charles Barkley hosted a sketch called "White People Problems"--a spoof highlighting the "problems" of upper-class people in America.  One woman was upset because the cashier at Arby's couldn't tell her if their chicken was free range.  One couple was in a tizzy because they had offered their summer house to some friends and now they wanted to stay there, too--in one of the five bedrooms--but were afraid it would be "awkward."

I laughed at the sketch...but then before I knew it I was laughing at myself!  For days weeks I have been consumed by a bare corner in our family room.  I have had a small bookshelf there that has nicely balanced out the floor lamp opposite the other side of the fireplace.  Now, I'm going to have to move it (it's very unsteady AND full of toddler-unfriendly items) and replace it with some kind of aesthetically-pleasing toy storage.  True confessions: I have spent hours on the internet looking at bookshelves, benches, chests, storage units, and baskets, trying to figure out what to put there.  And it hit me: This is a dilemma that 99% of the world's population can't even comprehend.  Most people with a fireplace use it for functional food preparation.  Most people with toys are lucky to have them--they aren't concerned with whether or not they are out and disturbing the decor. 

How blessed am I that my problems are so benign in the big scheme of things.

"There but by the grace of God go I."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...