11.29.2011

Preparation is the Key

One of the best tips I got from one of my pregnancy books was to have the whole house "staged" before you went to the hospital.  What did this look like for me?

1.  Unwrap and set up baby equipment.  Trust me, you will not want to do this (or have enough hands to do this) after the baby is here!  I just worked on one thing every day until I was all set up.  I stored things in the nursery, so they were out of site, but ready to go.  I did set up a pack-n-play with a changing station on the first floor to save me some stairs!

2. Pack your hospital bag.  You don't need much, but I was glad I had a comfy set of clothes (yoga pants and a T-shirt), a hair dryer, toothbrush, make-up, a notebook and pen, my baby book (for footprints), Gatorade (you can't eat anything in labor, but you can drink this stuff!) flip flops, & slippers.

3. Set up a changing station with all your baby equipment including diapers, wipes, Vaseline, hand sanitizer, baby lotion, baby body wash (use Cetaphil or CeraVe, NOT Johnson and Johnson), rubbing alcohol, cotton balls, Q-tips.  I also set out several burp cloths and blankets on both levels of my house so I didn't have to go up and down the stairs, especially in those first few weeks.  (I would recommend stocking up on wipes--you can't have enough--and then no more than 100 newborn-size diapers, and about 400 size-1 diapers.)

4. Set up the bathroom with all of the accessories you will need in those first few weeks.  The hospital will give you most everything you need, but I did stock up on extra Tuck's and maxi pads.  I also liked having some of the wet Cottonelle flushable wipes on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...