3.08.2012

One Year Ago Today

For the last 6 and a half months I have often thought to myself, "What was I doing a year ago today?"  It started in the hospital recovery room the day after Will was born.  It was the morning that teachers first reported back to school.  I woke up at 5:30, the time I would have had to get up to be at school, and thought of all my colleagues waking up and getting ready to begin a new year.  I woke up after my second night in the hospital and thought of all my colleagues greeting students for the first time.  I remembered vividly the nervous anticipation I always felt on the first day of school...but this year was different.  This year, I wasn't going back. 

This weekend last year was a memorable one for me.  Last year on March 8, my mom came up for the weekend to help me make curtains for our family room.  It was one of those projects I had on my list of "things to do before the baby came."  The day before she arrived, Friday, was the first day I could not button my jeans!  I gave in and finally tied a rubber band to the belt loop to give me some space in the waist.  I knew, though, maternity clothes were in my near future.  I had just started that, "Oh my gosh, nothing fits!" stage...and when my mom came, she empathized and determined that we would head over to the maternity store to get a maternity wardrobe going for me before she left town.  We did.  She bought me pants and tops for school, a couple sundresses for spring and summer time, and a couple pairs of jeans.

By the time she left, I felt such a huge sense of relief.  I had new curtains that were beautiful and I had clothes to wear.  I wasn't anxious about not fitting into things...I was ready for the next step of pregnancy. 


One year ago today Will was so small I didn't know his gender and I could still nearly button my jeans.  Now the little guy is nearly 20 pounds and I can't imagine my life without him. 

And I can't remember my family room windows without curtains!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...