1.01.2012

Sleep Training Continued...

Well, I was wrong.  It was not that easy.

I was putting Will down when he seemed tired to me, and he was only napping for 30 minutes at a time, twice a day...3 times IF I was lucky.  Unlucky days he would scream for an hour instead of taking a nap.

Then, the worst part: He started waking up twice in the night!  I would lie down, sleep for an hour, then he was up again!

What was I doing wrong?  He was going to bed early, I was putting him down when he was tired....  He was sleeping great until I started messing with his schedule!  Argh.

Back to "the book" (as in, "the book says any nap less than an hour doesn't count."  And "the book says the earlier he goes to bed, the longer he will sleep in the morning.")

The book also said that I needed to get the naps in order before the night sleep would hit a stride again.  And I needed to put him to bed DROWSY not TIRED.  Big difference.  So, I tried that, and met with greater success.  Much less crying and longer naps.

I don't always "catch the wave," but I am starting to pick up on Will's drowsy signals and I have confidence (most of the time) that I'll figure this out.  Someday.  Before he graduates from high school.  And by then, I'll be boggled by something else!  Welcome to parenting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...