1.24.2012

Separation Anxiety

I was watching Parenthood last week and had a visceral reaction watching Cristina and Adam prepare to send their daughter to college.  (Alex had a visceral reaction, too--how will we pay for all that?!?  But that's another post.)  My reaction was: Oh, I already dread the day that Will is going to go off to college!  I got really sad thinking about it.  Then I realized that all of parenting is preparing our kids--and US--for that moment.  Preparing them to be responsible adults.  My entire journey as a mom is going to be dealing with my own separation anxiety!  And it has already begun!

First he was born, and he could live and breathe without me.

Then he started to learn that he was an independent person--he wasn't just my appendage.

Soon he won't need me to feed him.

Then he won't need me to carry him places.

Then he won't need me to put him to sleep.

Then he will go to school and he won't need me home with him all the time.

Then he'll make his own friends.

Then he'll go to sleepovers and summer camp.

Then he'll go to parties with friends and he won't need me to drive him places.

Then he'll go to college.

And THEN, he'll pack up his room and he won't need to live here over summer vacation.

And one day after that, he'll be inviting me to visit him at his house, and he will be providing for me.  And the separation will be complete.

But he will always be my baby, and he will always be very close to me in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...