5.05.2012

Solids: Stage 3

Now that we are well into 8 months, I have progressed to my own version of "stage 3 solids."

In all my research, I have found that there is no set method that doctors and experts agree on.  Good news for me because I am trying to take a conservative approach, but I am certainly not following any set guide!

For me, Stage 3 means:
  • Three meals a day.  
  • Meals often include a mixed puree of several items.
  • Add chicken to the diet--I plan to add other meats, too, as I have them on hand.
  • Add more yogurt.
  • Add some seasonings (cinnamon, garlic, cumin...okay, that's all I'm brave enough for so far!).
  • Offer "puffs" and small pieces of banana or other soft foods to encourage chewing.
  • Offer juice in a cup occasionally.  (I really started this because Will needed a little prune juice to help soften things up if you know what I mean!)
Some of my favorite purees right now:
  • Mango, spinach, pear (blend raw in food processor...maybe add a little apple juice if you need it)
  • Peach and dried apricot
  • Broccoli and apple
  • Pea and pear (sometimes I add green beans)
  • Sweet Potato, pear, banana
  • Sweet potato, banana, yogurt
  • Chicken and dried apricot
  • Chicken, rice, and veggies (any and all--I actually made and froze a chicken-vegetable-rice soup) 
Will still nurses 4-5 times a day.  I'm not pushing him to go less than this, but with night weaning, he has given up one feeding now in the middle of the night.

Happy Babycooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...