9.19.2011

That's What Moms Are For


I can't imagine the first week with Will without my mom's help.  It was one of the hardest weeks of my life, and at the same time, one of the most amazing and memorable.  My mom did for me what her mom had done for her...and what I imagine her mom had done for her, and so on for centuries.  There is something so natural and comfortable about having your own mom show you the ropes and helping you navigate those first days.  As wonderful as Alex was and continues to be, my mom is the one who has been in my shoes.  She could encourage me to continue breastfeeding even when it hurt, she could tell me from experience that I would feel better eventually and I would establish a new normal.  And she could cuddle and sooth that baby when we both needed a break.

I'm blessed with a great mom who just came, knew what had to be done, and did it.  She made dinner, and made our bed.  She picked up prescriptions, and picked up the house.  She cleaned the accessories for my breastpump, and she cleaned the bathtub.  She held my baby when he cried, and she held her baby when she cried, too!  Above all, she let me know that she loves me and she wants to help me to be successful.

At one point, she looked at me holding Will and said, "Oh, Sarah, you remind me of me!"  Well, there's a reason for that!  Everything I know about being a mom I learned from my own mom.  Thank God for a good one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...