3.12.2012

Baby Play

 I love the idea of heuristic play--kids playing with real objects and not just items designated as "toys."  I think this makes kids think of the whole world as a joyful place full of discovery and learning experiences.

Inspired by the treasure baskets I found at TheImaginationTree.com, I put together a collection of kitchen items and put them on the floor for Will.  He played for a really long time!  He was enthralled.  How simple--and how fun!


The next step (because I didn't want to get rid of all these toys we do have!) was to make treasure baskets with a variety of items--toys and non-toys.  I made three of them.  Now I rotate them around and let Will take the items out, explore them, and explore the basket itself (often his favorite part!).  One day we'll be able to work on putting the items back IN the basket, too! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...