10.18.2011

So, um, what do you do all day?

I recently had a friend ask me this question and I love it because I asked my stay-at-home mom friends the same thing!  What exactly do you do all day?

Well, for me, the first waking is usually around 6 now, so Will is fed then and then sometimes goes back to sleep for 3 hours.  (Other times, he doesn't--this is a new trick.  When he doesn't go back down, he'll surprise me with one long nap at some point during the day, but it's a surprise!  I never know which nap will be a long one...what a fun game, huh?) 

When he does go back down, I know I have a chunk of time to get things done: I eat, shower, get ready for the day, pump, maybe write a blog post, and try to squeeze in 1-2 extra hours of sleep.  When Will wakes again at 10 or so, he feeds again, and then I change him out of his pajamas and the day begins.

From here on out we work on 3-hour cycles of eating, playing, napping...eating, playing, napping.  I try to make the most of my time throughout these cycles, stealing 5 minutes here to change the laundry over, and 10 minutes there to prep vegetables for dinner.  While nursing, I can check my email or flip through a magazine.  While playing, I can leave him on the floor for a couple minutes to grab something to eat or make coffee.  But mostly we sing and read and "play" with his toys.  Then as he starts to get fussy, I wrap him in a blanket, and sometimes strap him into the Baby Bjorn carrier, and sing him to sleep for a nap.  During nap time, I can eat, clean up the house, download and email pictures, etc.  But these naps are short...generally only about 20 minutes...before he wakes up and we're back at it again!

By the time Alex gets home, I make dinner, then spend the evening nursing while Will "cluster feeds." I am lucky if I get a few quiet moments for me to eat.  Then he falls asleep around 9, until it all begins again the next day.

So, that's sort of what I do all day--until our routine changes again!  I am NOT bored...and I do try to build in trips out every day, timing them to a nap time so Will can sleep in the Baby Bjorn while I carry him through the aisles of Target or visit with a friend.

And now I hear him waking up, so it's time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...